The raw food diet is a totally alkaline regime that works best if you can use raw fruit and vegetable juices to rebalance, rebuild, and revitalize your system.
First thing: A cup of herb tea or lemon and spring water.
- Fresh raw fruits in season or fresh raw fruit juice.
- A raw breakfast dish or drink (see recipes).
- A piece or two of rye or pumpernickel bread or toast with honey.
- Crudites, avocado vinaigrette, or a glass of fresh vegetable juice.
- A biogenic salad.
- A slice of rye crispbread with herb goats’ cheese, fruit, yogurt, or muesli.
- Herb tea or coffee substitute.
- Fresh vegetable juice or raw soup or crudites.
- A raw main dish or grilled fish, or lamb’s liver, or free-range chicken.
- A baked potato or brown rice or rye or pumpernickel bread.
- A small salad or lightly-cooked fresh vegetables.
- A piece of fruit or sorbet.
- Herb tea or coffee substitute.
Lunch and dinner can be swapped around.
Raw breakfast dishes and drinks
- Black magic: 1 glass goats’ milk, 1 ripe banana, 1 – 2 dessertspoons blackstrap molasses. Blend and serve.
- Fruit shake: 1 banana (or peach, or 2 apricots, or figs or berries); 1 glass fresh orange, apple or mandarin juice; 2 raw egg yolks; ice cubes. Blend and serve.
- Live muesli: 1 – 2 dessertspoons breakfast oats, soaked overnight in a little spring water; 1 grated apple (or mango, peach or strawberries); goats’ milk yogurt. Mix all ingredients, then sprinkle with a three-seed mixture or mixed nuts.
- Raw breakfast cereal: 2 dessertspoons wheatgerm, 2 dessertspoons three-seed mixture, 1 sliced banana or other fruit, 1 teaspoon honey, 1 dessertspoon lecithin. Mix and serve with goats’ milk.
- Carob lassi: 1 glass goats’ milk, 1 teaspoon lecithin, 1 teaspoon three-seed mixture, 1 teaspoon carob powder, 1 dessertspoon honey. Blend and serve.
The principles of biogenic salad making are simple. Mix no more than three vegetables together – one root, one bulb (or “fruit”) vegetable, and one leafy vegetable. Garnish with fresh or dried herbs and add the dressing.
- Root vegetables: carrots, celeriac, turnips, onions, beetroot, radishes, white radishes, etc.
- Bulb or “fruit” vegetables: tomatoes, red and green peppers, fennel, avocado, cucumber, cauliflower, celery, broccoli, zucchini, etc.
- Leafy vegetables: lettuce, young dandelion leaves, young beet tops, red or white cabbage, spinach, chicory, endive, etc.
Watercress, cress and sprouted grains and seeds can be used in any combination or on their own as a garnish. To increase a salad’s protein content you can sprinkle it with the three-seed mixture, or mixed nuts or sprouted seeds or grains or add some soft goats’ cheese.
Mix one part lemon juice and two parts fresh, crude, unrefined olive oil or cold-pressed sunflower oil or four parts mashed avocado. Add herbs, garlic, or honey to this base.
- Sprout salad: Mix three kinds of sprouted grains or seeds (a handful of each) in a bowl, add half a sliced avocado and season with fresh basil and chives. Garnish with black olives and dress with garlic dressing.
- Spinach splendor: 2 cups spinach, 1 cup fresh mushrooms. Remove stems and veins of spinach. Slice mushrooms finely and mix together. Toss in a garlic dressing and sprinkle with basil, sunflower seeds or three-seed mixture.
- Red slaw: 1½ cups grated cabbage, 1 grated carrot, ½ grated green pepper, 1 dessertspoon honey, a pinch of celery seeds. Toss with salad dressing and serve.
Raw main dishes
- Stuffed Lettuce: lettuce leaves, 2 tablespoons soft goats’ cheese, 1 small carrot grated finely, 2 teaspoons fresh chopped herbs, a tiny piece of crushed garlic if desired. Mix together then roll up inside the crisp lettuce leaves and serve.
- Pate Vivante: 1 grated medium carrot, 1 chopped spring onion, 1 dessertspoon chopped celery, 1 dessertspoon chopped mushrooms, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 raw egg yolk, 2 dessertspoons three-seed mixture (or mixed nuts). Mix together, form into a pate.
- Alfalfa burgers: 1 cup alfalfa sprouts, 3 dessertspoons three-seed mixture, ½ chopped onion, chopped parsley, 1 dessertspoon herbal salad dressing. Mix together and form into patties.
- Cucumber: 1 cup goats’ yogurt, ¼ cucumber peeled and sliced, a sprig of mint, 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Blend and serve with parsley.
- Gazpacho: 4 – 6 peeled tomatoes, 3 carrots, 2 sprigs of celery. Put through a centrifuge juicer, sprinkle with chopped chives and diced green pepper.
- Avocado smoothie: ¼ cup goats’ milk, ½ avocado, ¼ diced red pepper, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 chopped spring onion, a dash of Tabasco. Blend and serve.